SHELTER ISLAND BRIDGE & TUNNEL AUTHORITY ACT OF 1961, AS AMENDED.
An Act promulgated to authorize (1) the formation of the Shelter Island Bridge & Tunnel Authority as a quasi-governmental taxing authority, acting as agent for the State of New York, and (2) the Construction and Maintenance of a Tunnel under the North Branch of the Peconic River between Greenport, Long Island, and Shelter Island; and a Bridge across the South Branch of the Peconic River between Smith’s Cove, Shelter Island and the North Haven, Long Island, peninsula, all in Peconic County, in the State of New York.
[Assented to 31st July, 1961]
The Honorable Nelson A. Rockefeller, Governor, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and Assembly of the State of New York, enacts as follows:--
1. This Act may be cited as the Shelter Island Bridge and Tunnel Act.
CONSTRUCTION OF BRIDGE AUTHORIZED
2. Subject to this Act, the State of New York (hereinafter referred to as "the State") and the Shelter Island Bridge & Tunnel Authority, (“SIBTA”) its agent, is hereby authorized to construct and maintain a bridge, approaches and other works ancillary thereto, for the use and passage of persons, vehicles and goods, across and over the Peconic River from a point at or near Smith’s Cove, Shelter Island, New York, to a point on the North Haven peninsula, at or near the intersection of S.R. 114 and Bridge Plaza Drive, in the Village of North Haven, New York State.
CONSTRUCTION OF TUNNEL AUTHORIZED
3. Subject to this Act, the State and its agent, the SIBTA is hereby authorized to construct and maintain a tunnel, approaches and other works ancillary thereto, for the use and passage of persons, vehicles and goods, across and under the Peconic River from a point at or near the foot of 5th Street, in the Village of Greenport, New York to the foot of Bevan Place, on Shelter Island, New York.
PLANS AND DRAWINGS TO BE SUBMITTED
4. (1) The bridge and tunnel described in sections 2 and 3 respectively and the works ancillary thereto shall be constructed and maintained in accordance with and subject to such regulations for the safeguarding of navigation of the Peconic River as the Governor may prescribe, and, for that purpose, the State and its agent, the SIBTA, shall, prior to the commencement of construction of the bridge, tunnel or ancillary works, submit to the Governor for examination and approval plans and drawings thereof and a map of their proposed locations, indicating accurately all relevant soundings and showing the bed(s) of the river and the location of all other bridges and tunnels in the area, and furnish to the Governor such other information as is required for a full and satisfactory understanding of the project.
APPROVAL OF PLANS AND DRAWINGS PRIOR TO COMMENCEMENT
4. (2) Construction of the bridge, tunnel or works ancillary thereto shall not be commenced until such time as the plans and drawings referred to in subsection (1) and the location of the bridge, tunnel and ancillary works have been approved by the Governor, and no material change in such plans or drawings, or in the location of the bridge, tunnel or ancillary works shall be made after the commencement of construction thereof except with the prior approval of the Governor.
5. (1) The Governor may, in addition to any regulations authorized by section 4, make such regulations in relation to the bridge and tunnel described in sections 2 and 3 and the works ancillary thereto, as he deems necessary for the purposes of navigation.
5. (2) All persons affected by any regulation made under the authority of this Act shall comply therewith.